Classic marinara is made in 25 minutes or less. Here’s my favorite way to do it.
Classic marinara is made in 25 minutes or less. Here's my favorite way to do it.
Author: APB: Eats
- 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8-9 medium garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil
- Pour tomatoes into a bowl and crush with your hands. Pour 1 cup water into tomato can and slosh it around to get tomato juices. Reserve this water.
- In a large skillet (do not use a pot) over medium heat, heat the oil. When hot, add garlic.
- Once garlic sizzling (do not let it brown), add the tomatoes and reserved tomato water. Add red pepper flakes and salt. Stir.
- Place basil on surface. Let it wilt, then submerge in sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and oil on surface is a deep orange, about 15 minutes.