Admit it — without the recipe title, you didn’t know what they were, right?
Tip: Baby eggplant make a great appetizer or side dish when served with fresh-baked bread, or try serving them over spaghetti with classic marinara for a simple and delicious main course.
- Baby eggplants (as many as you want to use)
- Several garlic cloves (amount depends on how many baby eggplants you're making)
- Fresh oregano or basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Thinly slice a clove or two of garlic (more if necessary).
- Slice an "X" on the bottom of each eggplant, about a ½-inch deep. (Leave the stem intact.)
- Press a slice or two of garlic with a bit of oregano or basil into each "X" at the bottom of the eggplants.
- Arrange eggplants in a glass baking dish, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with olive oil (and a bit of lemon juice, if desired).
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, making sure not to touch the eggplants with the foil. Roast, basting frequently with the oil in the dish, until the eggplants are very soft, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove foil and roast for 5-7 more minutes.