Treat yourself one fine autumn morning.
Tip: Try these for a holiday breakfast or brunch. They’re as beautiful as they are delicious.
Fresh Cranberry-Pear Scones
Try these for a holiday breakfast or brunch. They're as beautiful as they are delicious.
Author: APB: Eats
- ¾ cup chopped pear, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice or lemon juice
- ¾ cup fresh, whole cranberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup Earth Balance spread (cold, not room temperature), cut down to small cubes
- ⅓ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Optional for topping before baking: decorative sugar crystals or turbinado sugar, aka "sugar in the raw"
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped pear with orange or lemon juice.
- In a food processor, pulse the cranberries until just slightly chopped (do not puree!).
- Combine chopped cranberries with chopped pears and mix in brown sugar until all the fruit is thoroughly covered. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Use a whisk to make sure all ingredients are combined.
- Add the Earth Balance spread to the flour mixture. Toss the flour mixture over the Earth Balance cubes to fully coat it. Use your fingertips (not your palms) to quickly and lightly cut in the Earth Balance. (You don't want to do this for too long, nor do you want to use the palms of your hands; the goal is to keep the fat from melting.) Do this until the Earth Balance is evenly distributed; the mixture should be crumbly.
- Transfer the cranberry-pear mixture to the flour mixture. Add ⅓ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk) and stir just until the dough comes together (do not overmix). Dough will be crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and gently pat out to about 8" x 8" square. Using a knife, cut 9 square scones or use a biscuit cutter for round scones.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar crystals or turbinado sugar if desired (recommended!). Bake for 20-25 minutes. Best served warm.