In your mind you’re already licking the bowl, right?
Tip: Coconut whipped cream makes a delicious topping for a cup of hot chocolate, chocolate avocado pudding, pumpkin-pie pudding, all kinds of pies, and probably about a thousand other things. It’s high in fat and sugar (obviously), but a little dollop goes a long way.
Coconut Whipped Cream
In your mind you're already licking the bowl, right? Coconut whipped cream makes a delicious topping for all kinds of desserts. It’s high in fat and sugar (obviously), but a little dollop goes a long way.
Author: APB: Eats
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight (this step can't be skipped; please read the first line of the instructions before you begin!)
- ½ cup to 1 cup powdered sugar (this is to taste; if you're not sure how sweet you'll like it, start with ½ cup and increase until desired sweetness is reached)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chill a can of coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk overnight. Note: I recommend chilling 2 or 3 cans; you'll only be using one can for this recipe, but having a few ready to go means you have some insurance if the first can you open is a dud -- that is, it doesn't have enough fat in it to whip. What can I say -- it happens! Three critical points: 1) the coconut cream or milk must be chilled overnight or you'll have a watery mess; 2) don't use light coconut milk; you're going to be whipping the thick cream, so light milk won't work; and 3) be sure not to shake, tip, or flip the can upside down once you've put it in the fridge; you want the liquid to separate from the cream and stay that way!
- The following day, chill your mixing bowl for 15 minutes before you start.
- Remove the can of coconut cream or milk from the fridge without tipping, shaking, or turning it upside down. Remove the lid, and spoon out only the thick cream into your chilled mixing bowl. (I reserve the remaining liquid for my next smoothie!)
- Beat in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer for 60 seconds. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and continue whipping for another couple minutes until creamy and smooth. Use immediately, or refrigerate for a few hours if you'd like it to set up/stiffen a bit.