Light, fluffy, easy, perfect. (Adapted from Alton Brown’s Southern Biscuits recipe.)
Light, fluffy, easy, perfect. (Adapted from Alton Brown's Southern Biscuit recipe.)
Author: APB: Eats
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold vegan butter (I use Earth Balance), plus a bit more for brushing on top (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cold vegan shortening (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup plant-based buttermilk, chilled (1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar + just under 1 cup of almond milk; directions follow!)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Begin by making the plant-based buttermilk: Place 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add plain almond milk up to the 1-cup mark. Stir and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your fingertips (not your palms), cut vegan butter and vegan shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (Move quickly -- you don't want the fats to melt.)
- Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled plant-based buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together -- do not overstir! The dough will be very sticky.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour, and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press down into a 1-inch thick round.
- Cut out biscuits with a 3-inch cutter, making sure to push straight down through the dough. Reform any scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting biscuits until you have 6 (the more you work the dough, the less light and fluffy the biscuits will be, so try to get as many biscuits as possible out of the first cut).
- Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Brush each biscuit with melted vegan butter (optional). Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, around 15 to 20 minutes.