Eggs: higher in fat, calories, and cholesterol than tofu — the USDA won’t even allow them to be labeled “nutritious” or “healthy.” Hmm.
Important note: To get that distinctive egg flavor in your tofu “egg” salad, you must use Indian black salt (also called kala namak). What is this, you ask? Read all about it, here.
Tip: Tofu “egg” salad is easy to make and adaptable to anyone’s taste: include dill or sweet pickles, paprika, scallions, and/or celery. Or omit them all if you’re a purist.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained
- ¾ cup to 1 cup vegan mayo (I used Hampton Creek's Just Mayo)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoons Indian black salt (also called kala namak), plus more to taste; do not omit or substitute with regular table salt as this is what gives it that distinctive egg taste!
- black pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup diced celery (optional)
- ¼ to ½ cup diced sweet pickles (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sweet pickle juice (optional)
- Using a fork or you fingers, crumble tofu into a large bowl.
- Mix in vegan mayo, mustard, turmeric, Indian black salt (kala namak), black pepper, and paprika (if using).
- Stir in celery, pickles, and pickle juice (if using). See the Notes section for substitutions and other options. It's your salad -- go crazy!