This is it: the recipe for anyone who thinks they can’t give up meat.
Important notes: 1. This recipe makes an 8″ x 8″ pan of lasagna (six pieces, or four if you’re Garfield). 2. You’ll need to make one batch each of cashew ricotta and cashew parmesan cheese before you begin. 3. You can absolutely use your favorite sauce from a jar. If you want to go all out, make your own — or make my classic marinara.
- 1 batch of cashew ricotta (recipe at APB: Eats)
- 1 batch of cashew parmesan (recipe at APB: Eats)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or around 4 tablespoons of fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh)
- ¼ cup cashew parmesan
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Olive oil
- 1 package (around 12 ounces) meatless crumbles (such as Lightlife Smart Ground)
- 8 lasagna noodles (traditional noodles, NOT the precooked, no-boil ones!)
- 2¼ cups of marinara sauce (your favorite from a jar or homemade)
- Make one batch of cashew ricotta and one batch of cashew parmesan cheese.
- To the cashew ricotta, stir in the parsley, basil, and cashew parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate while you complete the rest of the steps.
- In a pan, sauté diced onion in a little olive oil or water over medium heat, just until it's translucent. Mix in the meatless crumbles and cook according to package instructions.
- Cook 8 lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Important: Unless you managed to find lasagna noodles meant for an 8" x 8" pan, you'll need to cut each one to fit. Be sure to cut each noodle with only a single slice, holding on to every "scrap." When you're doing the layering in step 5, you'll put two "scraps" together to form one full noodle when you run out of the longer pieces. (See? No waste!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread ¼ cup of marinara in the bottom of the pan (so the noodles won't stick). Place three noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them. Going all the way to the edges (on everything you layer), spread a heaping ¾ cup of cashew ricotta over the noodles using a spoon, spatula, or your very clean fingers. Spread around ⅓ of the meatless crumbles/onion mixture on top of that. Spread ½ cup of marinara on top of that. Repeat these steps three times, ending with three noodles. Top those noodles with the remaining ½ cup marinara. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before shaking more cashew parmesan on top and serving (with your favorite salad!).
2. You’ll need to make one batch each of cashew ricotta and cashew parmesan cheese before you begin. Get the recipes at APB: Eats.
3. You can use homemade sauce or your favorite from a jar, or make my marinara recipe from APB: Eats.