So easy to make, and freezes well, too.
Apple-Walnut Tea Bread
Author: APB: Eats
- ¾ cup vegan sugar
- 4 tablespoons plant-based butter (like Earth Balance), softened
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground golden flax seed + around 5 tablespoons water; mix and let sit a minute until it's goopy like eggs)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large apples (I used Golden Delicious), cored, peeled, and grated
- ¾ cups chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Decorative vegan sugar crystals (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan (you can grease and flour the pan or just use cooking spray).
- Cream the sugar and plant-based butter together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the flax eggs. (I use a hand mixer for this, but you could just stir vigorously.)
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (the mixture will be stiff until the next step).
- Stir in the grated apple, lemon juice, and lemon zest (now the mixture should be wet), and then add the walnuts, making sure everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Shake on decorative sugar, if using. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10–15 minutes or so before turning bread out of pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting (okay, you won't be able to wait that long, but give it a few minutes or it'll fall apart as you try to cut). Serve warm or cold, and freeze the leftovers.