I wait all year to make this so I can use strawberries fresh out of the field!
Note: This is delightful with tea or coffee, but becomes more decadent served with cashew-cream ice cream or coconut whipped cream!
Spring Strawberry Cake
Author: APB: Eats
- Coconut oil nonstick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 2½ cups + 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups raw sugar + 2 tablespoons (reserved)
- 1 large flax egg (to make: slightly heaping tablespoon ground flaxseed + slightly more than 2 tablespoons water; mix and allow to gel)
- ½ cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, and halved
- Vegan powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch removable-bottom tart pan or a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Whisk cake flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat plant-based butter, ¾ cup sugar, flax egg, soy milk, and vanilla with a mixer on high speed for 4 minutes. Add dry mixture in gradually, and continue beating with mixer on lower speed just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter in a single layer (see photo). Note: You may not be able to fit the entire pound of berries, but come as close as you can! Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons raw sugar over strawberries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean (about 55 minutes).
- Let cool in pan on a rack. Dust with vegan powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve.