A seasonal twist on classic cornbread recipe.
Apple-Cinnamon Cornbread Muffins
A seasonal twist on classic cornbread.
Author: APB: Eats
- 1 and ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup vegan granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons of cinnamon (plus extra for topping)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ canola oil or ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 sweet, crisp apple (such as Fuji or Jonagold), diced into small pieces
- Coconut-oil cooking spray (or other, to prepare pan)
- Optional: Decorative vegan sugar crystals or turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a whisk to combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Make the flax egg in a separate small bowl (combine ground flax seed and water; allow to sit for a minute until it gels -- it should be goopy like an egg white).
- Combine almond milk, oil or applesauce, and flax egg. Gently fold this wet mixture into the dry mixture only until all ingredients are wet -- do not use a mixer or over-stir. Batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in apple pieces. Let batter rest for a minute; it should be thick yet fluffy/airy.
- Divide mixture evenly into a prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle top with a mixture of decorative sugar crystals and cinnamon.
- Bake for 20 minutes (toothpick inserted should come out clean).
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from pan.
I’m so glad I stumbled upon this vegan recipe for apple cinnamon corn muffins! I am always looking for vegan recipes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, LaTeisha! Funny you should write today: I just took a loaf of apple tea bread out of the oven. I’ll be posting that one soon.