Ginger Peach Muffins
Fill muffin cups to the top for big muffin domes, according to Post Punk Kitchen's Isa Chandra Moskowitz, creator of this recipe featured in "Forks Over Knives -- The Cookbook."
Author: Isa Chandra Moskowitz via APB: Eats
- 1 cup plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or coconut)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2¼ cups spelt flour
- ¾ cup vegan cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 medium peaches, peeled, halved, pitted, and cut into ¼-inch slices (approximately 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone liners (or use foil cupcake liners)
- In a large measuring cup using a fork, vigorously mix together the plant-based milk, ground flaxseeds, and vinegar for about a minute (or until it appears foamy). Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the milk mixture. Add the applesauce and vanilla and stir together with the milk mixture in the well. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the well just until all the dry ingredients are wet and incorporated -- do not over-stir. Gently fold in the peaches.
- Fill each muffin cup all the way to the top.
- Bake for 24 to 27 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven. Let muffins cool completely for about 20 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges of each muffin to remove.