It’s vegan nacho cheese! Pour it over a pile of tortilla chips or make it into a thick dip. Mmmm.
Creamy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
Pour it over tortilla chips or make it into a thick dip. Mmm!
Author: APB: Eats
- 1 cup raw cashews (note: if you don't have a high-powered blender such as a NutriBullet or Vitamix, soak the cashews in water for several hours then drain them before using; this step will make the sauce much creamier)
- 1 cup water (plus more to reach desired consistency)
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika (plus more to shake on top, if desired)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (heaping)
- 1 large clove garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Sriracha (optional, and to taste)
- In a high-powered blender, blend the cashews, 1 cup of water, and all of the other ingredients (except for the Sriracha) until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mixture to a sauce pan. Over a low heat, use a whisk to stir constantly so mixture won't burn, adding water in ¼-cup increments until desired consistency is reached (about 5 to 10 minutes). Add Sriracha to taste, if using.
- Pour over nachos (or into a bowl if using as a dip). Shake a little more smoked paprika on top, if desired. Serve immediately.